- WFH Post Pandemic – What It Will Look Like. What You’ll Need.
- Leaders to looking to the IoT to improve efficiency and resiliency
- Cyber Security Vernacular – Well, some of it, for now
- Why You Need Disaster Recovery, NOT Just Back-Ups
- 10 Reasons Why Having an Expert Manage Your Cybersecurity Makes Sense and Saves Dollars
- Converting CapEx IT Investments into Manageable OpEx
- The Hybrid Workplace – Planning the Next Phase
- Cisco Cloud Calling: Empowering Customers to Thrive with Hybrid Work
- When You Can’t Access the Cloud
- How to Keep On Keeping On
- New Cisco Research Reveals Collaboration, Cloud and Security are IT’s Top Challenges
- Threats from Within on the Rise
- Cloud Covered? If Not, Take Cover!
- Zero Trust and Forrester Wave Report
- Password Based Cyber Attack: Like Leaving Keys Under Doormats
- So, What’s Up With Sensors?
- Sensors and Systems Create a Digital “Last Mile” and Help Skyrocketing Costs
- Scanners Provide Peace of Mind for Returning Students and Workers
- Sensors Improve Operations and Bottom Line… Easily and Cost-Affordably.
- Cisco Meraki Looks at 2021
- 2020 Holiday Shopping: Cybersecurity and Other Tips to Safeguard Wallets and Systems
- How to make the most of the technology you have
- Personnel, Planet and Business Progress: More Interdependent Than Ever Before
- Sure… you can get them all in the boat – but can you get them to work well together?
- Pushing the Zero Trust Envelope – Cisco is Named a Leader in the 2020 Forrester Zero Trust Wave
- Cloud Data Must be Protected, Too!
- Don’t Let Anyone Get the Dirt on You – Make It Instead!
- How IoT Devices Can Help You and Your business
- WebEx – A World of Possibility
- Creating Your Breach Response Plan Now Will Save You Thousands Down The Road
- Been hacked? Here’s what you must do next.
- The Need for Pen Testing is At an All-Time High
- 5 Ways an IT Reseller Improves Your Performance and Peace-of-Mind
- 5G and Wi-Fi 6: Faster, more flexible, and future ready. Are you?
- Network and Data Security for Returning and Remote Workers + Disaster Recovery Symposium
- Collaboration and Cisco WebEx: Protecting Your Data
- Thursday’s Virtual Conference Tackles Today’s Supply Chain Trials and Tribulations
- 10 Tips to Reduce Cloud Storage Risk
- COVID-19 Crisis Fuelling IT Spending
- Supply Chain/Logistics Experts Share Their Expertise
- Cisco Breach Defence Overview
- Announcing Our New Website and Blog
Over the past 18 months, there has been a dramatic escalation of businesses moving applications and data to the cloud. Indeed, the number of cloud-based applications used by the average organization increase by 20% in 2020, and cloud activity now represents over 50% of secure web gateway traffic.
In part, this was precipitated by the pandemic and the speed with which companies had to adapt to remote working. Even though COVID-19 may have been the catalyst for more rapid adoption of cloud-based infrastructure, services and storage, it marked a tipping point in terms of digital transformation.
Cloud offers tremendous benefits in terms of cost reduction, ease of access, efficiency and scalability. As such, cloud transition has become top priority with many corporations; C-Suite executives understand that the cloud enables companies to become more nimble, able to innovate more quickly and effectively.
The cloud permits organisations to bring people and partners together on a single platform, all with access to current data, processes and technologies. In turn, this permits better analysis of data, yielding better insights, leading to more creative and effective design of products and services, employee engagement and customer experiences.
Having everything in the cloud has huge benefits, but also comes with equally substantial security risks – and migration to the cloud can expose vulnerabilities that exist in current infrastructures. The cloud requires a different security approach than on premises systems, because it’s impossible to achieve the continuous compliance that’s needed for cloud-based workloads using traditional tools and processes.
A quote from Gartner says it all: “It isn’t so much about whether the cloud is secure…It’s mostly about how securely you are using it.”
What are some of the risks?
- The average cost of cloud-related breaches was $4.41 Million in 2020 – and that’s not factoring in the loss of reputation and customer confidence.
- 61% of malware in 2020 was delivered using cloud applications.
- Cloud applications now represent 36% of all phishing campaigns.
- Employees don’t think twice about accessing personal apps (banking and online shopping being two common ones) using corporate devices and the average person will upload about 20 files/month to personal apps, usually social media platforms. Each instance provides an attack opportunity.
The resulting network and data breaches usually stem from misconfiguration of the cloud infrastructure. According to a Zscaler report, 86% of records compromised in 2019 were the result of misconfiguration. Other studies show similar numbers for 2020.
According to the Gartner Innovation Insight for Cloud Security Posture Management report, “Nearly all successful attacks on cloud services are the result of customer misconfiguration, mismanagement, and mistakes. Security and risk management leaders should invest in cloud security posture management processes and tools to proactively and reactively identify and remediate these risks.”
Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) will ensure that the underlying infrastructure (including networking, computing, storage and databases) is secure, and usually offer multiple compliance certifications. It is each organization’s responsibility, however, to ensure that applications are built correctly, that configurations have been properly and securely set and that your proprietary and client data is well protected. This applies to all cloud services.
To learn more, we invite you to read a white paper from one of our partners, Zscaler: “How to secure Public Cloud Environments”
We are one of a select group of companies chosen to represent Zscaler in Canada; we are also a Cisco partner. Zscaler and Cisco Cloudlock are both great options for moving safely to the cloud and for protecting applications and data automatically and continuously. To learn what will work best for you, please contact us at [email protected] or (416) 429-0796 or 1.877.238.9944 (Toll Free).